Foster Home Care Program
Evey week people walk through the doors of the AWSS and witness the daily activities of the animals in our care. What they can’t see, however, is the vital network of foster homes that enable us to expand our ability to care for our animals far beyond the walls of our facility. Volunteers with huge hearts serve AWSS as foster parents. They offer temporary shelter in their homes to animals in need. Being a foster parent can be a wonderfully satisfying experience.
Top Reasons to foster a pet:
1) You want to help the AWSS but can’t make it here every day
2) You can help an animal recover from illness or injury in a quiet home environment
3) You can help an animal get adapted to home life, build up its self-esteem and give it a better chance of being addopted.
4) It gives you the pet fix, without the long term commitment.
5) You get to evaluate the animals behaviour so the potential adopter has more information about the pet, thus making a better foster match.
6) It is very rewarding to see the animals grow to trust and love again, due to your nuturing and training
7) The animal gets a much needed cage break from the hustle and bustle of the kennel.
8) Foster one, Save one! When animals are placed in foster, shelter cage space is opened up for us to take in more animals.
We seek foster families for:
* Pregnant moms and babies. They need extra TLC and babies must wait until they are old enough to be vaccinated.
* Bottle Baby Care. Kittens and puppies who lack a mother need a foster mom to take care of all their needs.
* A much needed break from the kennel. Animals who have been at the shelter for an extended period of time, need to escape the stress of a kenel environment.
* Medical Care. These are animals with specific medical needs.
* Behaviour. This is for animals who require training, specialised observation and socialisation before they can be adopted.
How long does it take to foster?
Depending on the situation, anywhere from 7 to 10 days or as long as 6 to 8 weeks.
How Do I join?
Complete a foster application form, email or call us to get your form
What does the AWSS Provide?
Medical care (you must be able to bring the animal to our clinic), vaccinations, blankets and food at cost price.