|Farm Labourers Program|
Farm workers project:
Upon request & where we receive cruelty complaints, we go into the farms and start with education, stop illegal chaining, dip all the dogs, vaccinate & deworm, sterilise and when necessary treat sick animals. We also work with the owner or manager to put guidelines in place regarding the care of farm workers dogs in order to prevent further problems .
THE FARM LABOURER GUIDELINES FOR KEEPING A DOG
Suggested kennel size: Length - 1.5 x dog’s length
Width - 1.25 x dog’s height
Height - 1.5 x dog’s height
The Kennel should be: Waterproof
Raised off the ground
Made with a wooden base
4. Clean water must be available at all times.
5. The dog is fed at least once per day.
6. If absolutely necessary, a running chain may be used:
* Minimum length: Wire at least 10 x dog’s length ; Chain at least 2 x dog’s length.
7. The dog must be kept of internal parasites i.e. worms and should be dewormed not less than
once in six months.
8. The dog must be kept from external parasites i.e. Mange, ticks and fleas.
9. The dog should be vaccinated against Distemper, Parvo-virus and rabies
The above mentioned diseases can usually not be treated and the dog is normally put to
sleep. The owner should be warned not to get another dog for several months.
10. Injured or ill dogs should be taken to a Veterinarian or brought to the Animal Welfare if a
private Vet can't be afforded.